Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Construction of a Quilt

 I have started a new quilt and decided to chronicle it in my blog.  It was a rainy weekend at the cabin so I got lots of sewing done.  The quilt will be for Casey and Timothy as a Christmas present.  When we were just in Vermont Casey and I went to a fabric store in Keens NH to pick out a pattern and the fabric.  Sounds easy right?  Wrong...it is the hardest part.  She had made several trips there and picked out some fabric she liked so we took off from there.  The pattern she finally picked out is called Hexagon Hip Hop and the fabric is vintage style fabric with subtle colors and smaller prints.  The crazy thing is we had to pick out 40 different fabrics!!  We did not need much of each fabric but I feel like we trashed the fabric store doing it.  The owner...a retired teacher...was great and very helpful.
 Next I ironed the fabric and then cut it into 5inch by 10 inch rectangles and then cut each end at a 60degree angle.  The small triangles will be the border and the middle piece will be half of the hexagon.  I have never made this pattern before so it is always a challenge...measure twice and cut once is always in the front of my mind at this point.  I will start putting it together tomorrow!!
Saturday night we traveled up the water soggy and pot hole infested road in the rain  to the beautiful home of Karen and Dave Purvis   to have dinner with them and the Smiths.  Great time and lots of laughs.  Today(Sunday) is beautiful and sunny with temps in the 60's!!!  Wonderful after all that rain.   Kathy and Michael

1 comment:

  1. WOW, what a lot of different pieces of fabric. I will be interested in seeing how it turns out. I am also working on a quilting project. The rainy day was perfect for that.
    Della

    ReplyDelete